Thursday, March 29, 2007

Green Men and White Paint

Welcome to the growing number of my art class who are beginning to read this blog. Julie, my art teacher, has also started reading this blog. She comments "I'm glad I wasn't mentioned by name!" (Oops). I think I heard her scream this evening. Another student, looking at my painting said "Oh, he's turned green!" That was when I heard the scream - but I wasn't paying careful attention, so I might be wrong.

Admittedly, the moustache had been painted too dark, but the 5 o'clock shadow definitely looked green to me.

I have learned 2 things in recent weeks. Number one thing I have learned: when I apply paint to canvas I generally mix a colour very much too dark, this is something that I must correct, unfortunately it really only becomes obvious to me when Julie looks at my effort and goes a little quiet.

Or screams.

Number two thing I have learned: accidentally dark colours can be very easily lightened with white paint. Julie can fix anything with white paint, and I am rapidly learning this skill also. I don't think Julie wants me to learn this skill, but she taught me in the first place, so there can't be too much of an issue.

Have a look how much white paint was used in the sequence of paintings below.












Julie really is a very patient art teacher.

No comments: