Saturday, January 17, 2009

Poplar Shelter Belts


I came across a box of 40 assorted Sennelier extra soft half pastels in my local art shop before Christmas. Being difficult to find here and not having used them before I thought that, despite the expense, I would try them out. As well, I bought some sheets of almost sandpaper-like pastel paper. The Sennelier pastels were so very soft, and yet did not crumble, I loved the feel of them on paper.

Looking around I found a picture of a shelter belt that I was interested in painting, and I was also interested in trying out a impressionistic style, with emphasis on colour - well apart from my normal style. In the end I used only one Sennelier colour - the bright green (Apple Green - 205). I also used Winsor Newton Greens (Permanent Sap Green 3 and 4, and Oxide of Chromium 4, for the tree leaves. I used Schminke Cobalt Blue M for the Sky, and Schmincke greys for the tree trunks. I am happy with the picture although it isn't what I envisaged and so I will probably try it again sometime.


(480 x 670)

1 comment:

MomAtHome said...

looks like you are doing a pretty good job so far keep it up