Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Colour Studies I, II




I have been rereading a very great book on colour. Colour: A Workshop for Artists and Designers by David Hornung. (It appears that perhaps the US edition is differntly titled Color: A Workshop Approach).

Anyway - I am learning a lot more by DOING the assignments than from just READING the text. The pictures above are the results of Assignments 1 - a study using only grays, with wide value range and another with narrow value range - and 2 - study with muted colours, again narrow and wide value ranges. There are 16 assignments altogether, so it seems I have a lot more learning ahead of me.

I am reasonably pleased with my choice of values (as you can see from the black and white photo), however I found that some of my planned grays were a little colourful and some of my planned muted colours were a little gray. It seemed to me that targeting a particular value sometimes limited saturation levels which could be achieved. Then again, it also became very evident that defining exactly where gray starts and finishes on a continuous scale of saturation is a matter of opinion.

No comments: