Sunday, October 14, 2007

Watercolour III

I continue to work through the projects in "Step-By-Step Guide to Painting Realistic Watercolors."To the left is my first attempt at "Project 2." It has been quite a challenge. In particular I note three difficulties I have experienced in painting this project: (1) charging one color into another, and softening edges - for example the yellow and taupe shadows behind the card and in front of the truffle. On rereading the books instructions, I believe that I need to work on getting just the correct amount of moisture on both the paper and the brush; (2) Getting the colour depth correct - the brown of the truffle should be deeper; and (3) I cannot seem to paint smooth lines, so many of my lines have little bobbles along their length. This is most easily seen this on the lines of icing.

(230 x 305, Fabriano Acquarello 300 gsm hot pressed watercolour paper, Winsor Newton Artist's Watercolour, 13.10.07)

No comments: